Indian Hunter and His Dog by Paul Manship

“Indian Hunter and His Dog” by Paul Manship — who grew up in St. Paul — has a history of vandalism, duplication and relocation. The Thomas Cochran family commissioned Manship to create the original for placement in Cochran Park in St. Paul in 1926.

By 1967 vandals had spray-painted the sculpture and broken the hunter’s arrows, according to Monumental Minnesota: A Guide to Outdoor Sculpture. St. Paul Parks and Recreation decided to move the sculpture to Como Park where it was located in the McKnight Formal Garden next to the Conservatory (currently the Japanese Garden). In 1983 Robert Johnson created a fiberglass replica of the sculpture so it could again be seen in Cochran Park. In 1994 a neighborhood initiative led by Alma Joseph and the Ramsey Hill Association successfully lobbied to return the original to Cochran Park, arguing that the neighborhood had improved and the sculpture would be safe, according to a history on the Visual St. Paul blog (along with some great pictures).

According to ArtsNet Minnesota, Manship himself created two versions of the sculpture, one life-size and one smaller. But according to this Internet source, there are five small versions of the sculpture and two life-size versions–for a total of seven sculptures. One of the smaller versions is in the collection at the Minnesota Museum of American Art. It appears another might be in the Smithsonian American Art Museum collection. The original is back in Cochran Park where it started, but there’s no word on what happened to Robert Johnson’s fiberglass replica.

Though it has quite a history (and mystery), St. Paul does have the benefit of being home to one of Manship’s favorite sculptures. According to ArtsNet Minnesota, “Indian Hunter and His Dog” reminded Manship of his childhood in St. Paul.

Tags: , , ,

What do you think?