Pioneers by John K. Daniels

Pioneers by John K. DanielsPioneers by John K. DanielsPioneers by John K. DanielsPioneers by John K. DanielsPioneers by John K. DanielsPioneers by John K. Daniels

This 25-ton granite "Pioneers" sculpture was given to the City of Minneapolis by the Pillsbury family during the Great Depression. It served as the centerpiece of a park near the Central Post Office in Minneapolis called Pioneer Square. Created by John Karl Daniels, the sculpture was dedicated in 1936 on the 103rd anniversary of the birth of Charles Loring, the father of the Minneapolis Park System.

In the name of urban renewal the sculpture was moved in 1967 after being offered to anyone willing to relocate it, a move that was “greatly upsetting” to the then 90-year-old Daniels, according to Monumental Minnesota: A Guide to Outdoor Sculpture.

The sculpture now sits on the corner of 5th Avenue and Main Street NE and, in time, will be moved across Main Street into the newly constructed B.F. Nelson park on the east bank of the Mississippi River across from downtown Minneapolis.

Tags: , , ,

What do you think?