Created in 1906 by Daniel Chester French (The Lincoln Memorial) and Edward Potter, “Quadriga: Progress of the State” stands at the base of the Minnesota State Capitol’s dome. The sculpture shows a man on a chariot driving four horses and flanked by two women. The man represents the state’s drive for progress and prosperity. The four horses represent the forces of nature (earth, fire, water and air) and are controlled by the two women who represent industry and agriculture (or civilization collectively). Nothing like some old school allegory.
French and Potter collaborated on the sculpture with French sculpting the figures and Potter sculpting the animals.